So you're buying a home.
Congratulations. As a buyer it is important to have a quality and thorough
inspection on your new home. Most homes do well when going through an
inspection, however, there may be some issues present that you are not
aware of unless you have an inspection. Since California has no
requirements to be a home inspector, it is important that you pick an
inspector that is well qualified. :
- Experience - how long has the inspector been doing inspections. Personally I would seek one with 5 years or
more of home inspections.
- General contractor - in addition to inspecting experience I would like for my inspector to have 1st hand
experience in the construction industry doing many of the things that he is inspecting, preferably as a
general contractor, verses being a specialty one, such as a concrete or plumbing contractor.
- Does he belong to CREIA? The California Real Estate Inspection Association. CREIA has a entrance
examine to establish minimum knowledge requirements and requires the inspector to complete a minimum of
30 hours of continuing education each year.
- Is he insured with E&O, and liability insurance
- Does he provide a written report with photos to help me understand the issues.
- Does he walk around with me showing me many of the issues, if any, and give me a chance to ask him
questions so that I better understand.
Yes, I do meet these minimum requirements and more. Read more about David Jones.
What I would look for if I were choosing an inspector
Should a buyer be at the inspection?
I would say yes, especially at the end part of the inspection, if it is possible. Most of my clients like to walk around
with me at the end of my inspections so that we can go over some the findings. It is nice when you can look at an
issue and ask questions on the spot.
My agent recommended an inspector - should I use him?
Real estate agents often have the name of an inspector that they like. This inspector may be very good and
qualified. At times you may wish to call a second inspector, such as myself, and ask some questions, so that you may
compare qualifications. Should you like, call me at (949) 837-7755.